STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are lower after late Tuesday Fitch Ratings downgraded the U.S.’s credit rating to AA+ from AAA. This surprise move from Fitch prompted a risk-off mood in the markets.
The ADP employment report showed an increase of 324,000 when a gain of 185,000 was expected.
Mortgage applications in the U.S. declined 3.0% in the week ended July 28, following a 1.8% drop in the previous period, according to data from the Mortgage Bankers Association. Applications to refinance a home loan fell 2.5% and those to buy a home declined 3.2%.
Most analysts appear to be bearish on balance, which from a contrarian point of view, suggests any declines will be temporary.
Prices are likely to at least partially recover his afternoon.
The British pound is steady today, but is near its weakest level since July 6 in advance of the Bank of England’s policy announcement on Thursday. Traders are divided between the likelihood of a 25 basis point increase, which would take the interest rate to a 15-year high of 5.25%, or a more substantial 50 basis point hike.
The consumer confidence indicator in Switzerland improved to -27.1 in the third quarter of 2023 from a revised -29.6 in the previous period, but remained well under its long-term average.
INTEREST RATE FUTURES
Financial futures markets are predicting there is an 84% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is a 16% probability of a 25 basis point increase.
The Federal Open Market Committee’s 25 basis point increase in its fed funds rate on July 26 is probably the last one in this cycle.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.