Indices Higher Despite Recession Fears
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are higher despite an atmosphere of increasing concerns about a potential recession.
The 8:45 central time January PMI manufacturing index is expected to be 46.5 and the PMI services index is anticipated to be 45.5.
The 10:00 January Richmond Federal Reserve manufacturing index is estimated to be -3.0.
The technical aspects are supportive on balance.
The U.S. dollar index is steady.
Interest rate differentials are neutral for the U.S. dollar.
The euro zone economy expanded in January for the first time in seven months, according to a purchasing managers survey.
The S&P Global flash euro zone PMI composite output index, which measures activity in the manufacturing and services sectors, increased to 50.2 in January from 49.3 in December, which is the highest level since June. Economists expected the PMI to come in at 49.7.
The European Central Bank is likely to raise interest rates by 50 basis points at its February and March policy meetings.
The Confederation of British Industry’s order book balance fell by 11 points from a month ago to -17 in January, which is the weakest since February 2021 and worse than predictions of -8, according to the CBI’s latest Industrial Trends Survey.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
According to financial futures markets, currently there is a 99.0% of probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 25 basis points and a 1.0% probability of a 50 basis point hike at the February 1 policy meeting.
The long term outlook for futures is higher.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.