Explore Special Offers & White Papers from AFS

Core PCE Price Index Rallies Indices


Stock index futures are higher.

Personal income in May increased 0.4% as expected, and the  PCE price index advanced 0.1%  as anticipated. However, the core PCE price index was up 0.3% when a gain of 0.4% was predicted, and that was the portion of the report that sparked a rally in stock index futures.

The 8:45 central time June PMI is estimated to be 44.2.

The 9:00 June consumer sentiment index is expected to be 63.9.

Stock index futures continue to perform better than the news would suggest.

personal shopping


The U.S. dollar index is lower in response to the smaller than anticipated increase in the core PCE price index.

The consumer price inflation rate in the euro area decreased to 5.5% in June 2023, which is down from 6.1% in the previous month and slightly below market expectations of 5.6%.

However, the euro area core inflation rate re-accelerated in June, which applies pressure on the European Central Bank to hike interest rates again in July.

The seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate in the euro area remained at a record low of 6.5% in May 2023, which is unchanged from the previous month and matching market estimates.

The U.K. economy grew by only 0.1% in the first three months of the year, which is unchanged from an initial estimate.

Japan’s jobless rate was unchanged at 2.6% in May from the previous month and matched economists’ median forecast of 2.6%.


Futures advanced when the smaller than expected increase in the core PCE price index was reported.

Several portions of the U.S. Treasury yield curve have become even more inverted recently, which is a sign that investors are increasingly worried about an economic slowdown.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is an 84% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at the July 26 meeting, and there is a 16% chance that the fed funds rate will remain unchanged.

Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from Archer Financial Services

Get Started

Contact Us Today